Saturday, August 23, 2008

Another Healing Journey

I had a great trip to Rapid City last week. I went for a family reunion - which was actually down-sized due to other commitments, gas and flight prices, etc. Regardless of the lack of many out-of-towners, I was able to spend Friday through Sunday with Gary and Sharon! I always love our visits and come away feeling like an even bigger part of their family (if that's possible) and much closer to them and Troy, too. It's almost magical, how after a few days of talking, laughing and crying with Sharon and Gary I feel as if the hole in my heart is a little smaller and a little less calloused.

A few special notes about the week:
On Sunday afternoon we (Gary, Sharon, cousin Lonny, good friend Jerry and wife Nicole and myself) went to the plateau to place the identical cross we nailed at the crash site in Maine. It was a beautiful day and so nice to be together for such a special occasion. We even had Sheriff with us so he could run around and enjoy the plateau and the scenery (although he did bark at the cows on the way back!). I also brought along some of Handsome's ashes to lay at the base of the cross. I didn't share this with my family and friends on the plateau that day, but I have a new internet friend who recently lost her husband unexpectedly and has experienced a "spirit animal" --- Tiffany: I want you to know that Brian was with us that day as we remembered Troy.

A common occurrence in my life recently has been a connection with people I don't know who I've either been able to help or who have helped me with grief. A good example is my blog friend mentioned above. However, it's also happened here in Aberdeen and in South Dakota. I had an interesting encounter in Butte, Montana, on my way to RC that reminds me that every day, all over this planet, people lose their loved ones. It's hard. It doesn't matter what people tell you to try or say to you - you still have to go through your own grieving process. One day at a time. And sometimes, it's one hour or even one minute at a time. I so appreciate all the people in my life who give me support and love and understanding. I can't imagine having gone through Troy's loss without each and every one of you.

lco

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know what to say. That is beautiful and amazing and poetic. Maybe B and Troy are friends up there somewhere? Maybe it's a sign meant for both of us?

    ReplyDelete