Friday, December 14, 2007

Bob & My Soul Sista

When Bob and Candice (aka My Soul Sista) came to the hospital in Portland, Maine, I was thrilled to have them at my side. They both came as emotional support, however, Bob is a professional mover and was going to pack up the farmhouse and Candice is a wonderfully supportive and positive friend - we've been best of friends for 17 years. And, they brought their 15 month old daughter, Lillie, as a lovely distraction. Of course, if you know me at all, you also know that I'm not good at being taken care of, so I think I caused them both a bit of grief. I had already informed my doctor and nurses that my "support group" had arrived and I needed to be discharged immediately. That was Tuesday morning, December 4th. We drove out to the house (about 30 miles to the west) and Bob surveyed the situation and started getting boxes from the barn and the convenience store nearby. Candice and I read and sent emails and began sorting in piles: pack for storage, send to Henderson, take to Rapid City and donate before leaving Cornish.

I knew we were emotionally drained when Candice had called to order pizza and began crying on the phone. That night and the next day were mostly a blur - we were getting on the plane at 9:00am on Thursday morning and had a LOT to do! Luckily, my big sister and Organizer Extraordinaire, Becky, had emailed us a list of things to get done. We would still be walking in circles without that darn list.

On Wednesday evening we had been delivered Troy's ashes. We decided to take him to dinner with us, just across the street. Even our waitress had heard of the accident and before we left had given me her name and phone number in case I needed anything while away or to call her upon my return. I was amazed that people who didn't even know me reached out to do what they could. Joe, the funeral home director in Cornish, had our house keys brought to him by the tow truck driver so he could go check on Handsome and make sure he was warm and had food. We had Sheriff in the car with us and the homeowners near the crash took him in and told me they would keep him until I returned. They even phoned me at the hospital to say they adored him and not to worry. Our landlord called as well to ask if there was absolutely anything he could do. Even the postmistress offered her support and sympathy upon recognizing my name.

Obviously, I don't know my long term plans but I know I will return to Cornish to gather my belongings and meet with the people there who touched my heart in those first few very difficult days. I may even stay in Maine...the people there were amazing and I felt so at home.

A special thank you to Bob and Candice, their children Mackenzie and Kale (who sent a care package and get well notes), baby Lillie, Dave and Dixie (Candice's parents who watched the older kids and whom I consider extra parents of my own). Without their love and kindness I don't know what I would have done. I love you all.

lco

2 comments:

  1. Lori,

    You and I both are such blessed people - its really amazing. People are brought into our lives and also taken away, sometimes for reasons unknown. It isn't a coincidence that we both lost our loved ones within a week of each other. I hope you find comfort knowing that my Dad will "take care" of Troy. He was just that kind of guy. Dad loved you and would do anything for you, I hope you know that. I just got home from his funeral. I hope you have peace like I do knowing that the both of them are finally happy, ealthy and whole again. Its a good feeling.

    Candice is such a beautiful soul and you are so lucky to have her in your life. She is also very lucky to have you in hers. I'm so happy that you introduced us...I know why you love her so much. I can hardly wait to get to know her and her family better. She really is your soul sister.

    Keep writing. It's awesome. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I love you!

    Love, Maryjo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, This is truly an amazing way to heal and let others heal through you. I love logging in everyday to see what else you have written. It brings me back to all the experiences we all shared together. I am thankful that you and I have remained best friends through all these years. God knew we would need each other. I miss seeing you and cannot wait to fly out there. Thank you for all the wonderful entries that you have written. I sit at my computer and cry with great sadness, love, joy and hope all at the same time. I am so glad we are a family.

    Keep writting......I see a wonderful book in your future!

    I LOVE YOU!!

    Candice

    P.S. Bob has been very touched by your words of strengh and hope! He always says how amazed he is by you!

    ReplyDelete