Sunday, December 16, 2007

When I Get Where I'm Going

On Sunday, December 9th, we had a nice brunch with friends and family, and afterward our friends and neighbors, the Lemay's, who had played at Troy's service, went to the hospital to play for Maryjo's dad. He loved Celtic music and they thought he may be responsive, as he had not in the few days prior. The family was right! Upon hearing that beautiful music Jerry opened his eyes, talked with us (his wife, children, grandchildren and myself). He even said he "loved" the music and wanted to go home to "get his flute." Everyone in that room, and even in that area of the hospital, received such a warm feeling from Mike, Holly and Ben's music.

Later in the day, Becky, Maryjo and I went to get a little R&R at the Alternative Health Care Center - where Maryjo works and I used to work. I'll admit, we did take our box of wine and some glasses and sat in the massage chairs and did foot baths. We were having an amazing conversation when suddenly Maryjo sunk to the floor and said she had to go talk to her dad, Jerry, who had been in the hospital a week. I knew and loved Maryjo's parents and had spent a lot of time with them. Also, they had the same wedding anniversary as Troy and I and I'd always felt a kinship with them.

Maryjo was adamant about me not going up there with her, she said I had been through enough. However, I wanted to be with her as she told her dad goodbye, I felt I needed to go. When we arrived in his room I knelt by his side, took his hand in mine and placed my other on his cheek. I told him it was okay to go, that his family would take care of each other, that he was hurting and we didn't want him to. Maryjo was right beside me, with one hand on her dad and one hand on me. The words just kept coming from me, it was like I was able to tell Jerry all the things that I wasn't able to tell Troy at the end, because he left so quickly. As I spoke there wasn't much response, but when I told Jerry that Troy would be with him in Heaven a huge smile came across his face. At that very moment we knew he understood, that it was going to be alright. I moved to the other side of the bed so Maryjo could tell her dad how she loved him and how she would take care of her mom and that it was okay for him to let go. Suddenly I began to sing Amazing Grace, just the first verse as that's all I knew, but the sound that came from me was beautiful, I told Maryjo afterward that I felt like I had channeled an Angel, because I can't sing! She had joined in and as our voices grew strong so did our hearts.

Jerry passed away the following day, just hours before Becky and I flew from Rapid City. I was able to stop at the hospital earlier that day, to hug all the amazingly strong and beautiful women in Jerry's life - his wife, his daughters and his granddaughter. I thank Jerry for giving me my wonderful friend, Maryjo, as I know he taught her to be kind, thoughtful and loving. She has been a pillar for me, as I have been for her. We may question in life why things happen and the strange timing of our loved ones' passing seemed almost cruel at first. I now feel that we were meant to be there to comfort each other and perhaps for Troy and Jerry to stand together, too.

I recorded the song "When I Get Where I'm Going" to disc while in Maine to play before Troy's service, along with a few other songs that were fitting to the occasion or were favorites of Troy's. I passed the disc to Maryjo to take to the hospital and this song played as Jerry took his last breath. It was also played at Jerry's service. Coincidentally, another dear friend, Nicky, bought Sharon and I copies of the CD and accompanying book. It's a beautiful song and truly fitting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zfx5qra_g

lco

1 comment:

  1. My dearest friend....
    Here is a copy of a poem sent to Terri, who sent it to me. I think it's really fitting for Troy and my Dad. The blog you wrote about us is so beautiful! I love you. You are a beautiful person...See you soon. Love, Maryjo


    CHRISTMAS WITHOUT OUR LOVED ONES

    I see the countless Christmas trees
    around the world below,
    With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars,
    reflecting on the snow.

    The sight is so spectacular
    please wipe away the tear,
    For I am spending Christmas
    with our loving Savior this year.

    I hear the many Christmas songs
    that people hold so dear,
    But the sounds of music can't compare
    with the Christmas choir up here.

    I have no words to tell you
    the joy their voices bring,
    For it is beyond understanding
    to hear these angels sing.

    I know how much you miss me
    I see the pain inside your heart,
    But I am not so far away
    We really aren't apart.

    So be happy for me, loved ones,
    you know I hold you dear.
    For I am spending Christmas
    with our holy Savior this year.

    ReplyDelete