Sunday, December 16, 2007

Troy's Memorial Service

Saturday, December 8th.

It had snowed the night before and early that morning, but it was the beautiful, fluffy kind of snow that makes a nice, clean blanket over the earth. We arrived around 1pm and set up a photo board Gary and Sharon had put together. Becky had printed 5 pictures of Troy and had them mounted for the service - the black and white portrait of Troy, on the sailboat, fly-fishing, in Paris at the Eiffel Tower and on the beach in Maine. They were all wonderful examples of Troy's adventurous life...and the portrait was very intense. The church in Hermosa was perfect for the service, a nice white country church where Troy had gone with his grandparents over the years, and it was filled with flowers. Our friends and neighbors, Mike, Holly and Ben Lemay, played gorgeous Celtic music before the service. I still don't know how many people attended the memorial, I heard over a hundred and I know we had printed 75 handouts and only had 2 left. Some ladies from the church sang Hero and Wind Beneath My Wings. Reverend Behringer led a nice service with appropriate scriptures. He also read a letter that Jerry Herber had written and encouraged others to speak. Jim Massey and Bob Meis came forward to share memories of Troy and funny stories. Bob even wore the rubber boots that were Troys - just as he promised me he would. Mike and Holly Lemay spoke about Troy's love for animals and some sailing adventures.

After the service we caravaned in 4-wheel drive vehicles to the South Plateau to spread Troy's ashes; just as he had requested we do. The current land owner had plowed a path and we arrived just at sunset. I think some of our group didn't believe we could get up that hill...but Gary was going to perservere. We were in the second vehicle, following Garry and Marsha, who had stopped at the bottom. Our "gang" yelled and encouraged Gary to give it all that Suburban had and we made it a little ways, just to start sliding back down the hill when he let off the gas! I told him I thought if I had been behind the wheel we may have even made it...HA! So Gary stepped out, grabbed my arm, I had Troy's ashes in the other, and he helped/dragged me up that snowy, slippery slope. It was truly exhilarating. At the top I walked around a moment and Gary hollered at me to come back to the edge to see Troy's loved ones. He later described it as a scene from a movie, and I don't know how I can describe it to you now. But what we witnessed was miraculous - people were pushing, pulling and dragging each other to the top. Each one forging to the top with the help of those around them. It brings a warmth to my heart at this very moment just remembering that amazing sight.

Once everyone arrived at our destination Terry placed flowers in the middle of the circle and we all stood and held hands. Candice said a beautiful prayer and I asked for those who wanted ashes to come forward. After those people went back to their places in the circle I realized we still had plenty of Troy's ashes to go around. I walked the inside of the circle and placed ashes in the hand of every person on the plateau. I felt such joy and strength in sharing with his family and friends. I spoke briefly about my love for Troy and his love for each of those in attendance. I honestly can't remember what I said, but looking at that circle and those faces, I don't think it really mattered, we were all on the same page. Then we raised our hands and threw Troy's ashes into the circle. We also tossed in the red roses that had been brought to the service. My sister described the ashes on the snow as having a "starburst" effect and I remember the sparkling in the late evening light. There was also a red hue in the sky during the plateau service and a mysterious calm that isn't usually felt in South Dakota in winter.

The intensity of those moments were broken by humor as we descended that hill. I know those of you who attended can still hear the laughter! For those of you not there, you should have seen us! Some running...and not being able to stop easily at the bottom. Some scooted on their butts and we ALL slipped and slided to the vehicles parked below. I'm sure Troy was up there laughing at us, too.

It was truly an incredible day. The snow, the family, the friends, the music, the sunset, the tears and the laughter. It was just as Troy had wanted.

lco

No comments:

Post a Comment