Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas? Are you sure?

Troy and I actually first met at a dance club in Rapid City in June 1993. I was just off a bad dating experience and Troy had just split with a woman who definitely had some relationship issues, too. That night we danced and talked and drank. I was concerned about telling him my last name (as I'd had to already change my phone number 2x from the previous boyfriend calling me at all hours), but did tell him my first name and that I worked at Spiegel. We had a great first meeting...not a date, as we had met at the club and it wasn't pre-arranged. He even walked me to my car that evening and gave me a sweet kiss...on the lips...but a quick one!

It was a few weeks later and the phone rang at the admin office of my job. I usually answered this line and the somewhat timid voice on the other end asked, "Is this Lori Christmas?" I said it was. Troy explained that we had met recently and he wanted to ask me on a date. Of course, I was quite flattered that this handsome, fun young man had tracked me down and gave him my home number so we could talk more.

What I didn't find out until later was that Troy had paid a friend of his $50 to get my last name. This friend's girlfriend's sister -- or some such relation -- worked at Spiegel, too. When the friend came back with the name Christmas Troy definitely thought he had been taken! Can you blame him??? But the friend was adamant and he did call. I'm so glad that he did :o)

lco

No comments:

Post a Comment