Thursday, December 13, 2007

Maine

We arrived in Maine on November 12th, just days after selling our home in Rapid City, South Dakota. The drive was wonderful (even with the cat and dog!) and we saw parts of the US that we hadn't seen before. If you haven't driven east on I90 I would definitely recommend it - Wisconsin out to Maine is so beautiful. Troy had mentioned it was very "Norman Rockwell" and about 100 miles later we saw a sign for the Norman Rockwell Museum. No coincidence there!

We stayed a few days in Biddeford where we had an apartment on hold. However, after driving in the country one day we decided a home outside of town was more suitable for us. So, we bought a paper in York County and looked at a few places. As soon as we saw a farmhouse for rent in Cornish we knew it was the one! We told the landlord we'd take it just from seeing the outside. It was built in the late 1700's and all the floors sloped toward the middle. Handsome (our 12 year old cat) and Sheriff (2 year old toy fox terrier) seemed pleased with the old world feel and the attached barn. On November 16th we unloaded our little 5x8 uhaul trailer and began to unpack the few possessions we had brought with. After sailing and living on a boat, the collection of "things" just isn't that important and we knew we could purchase what we needed.

We spent the next two weeks exploring the area - close to Cornish, west to New Hampshire and east to the ocean. We began to put a few more things in the farmhouse and took some pictures of the area.

On Sunday, December 2nd, we were returning home from one such outing to Falmouth and were only a few miles from home. Troy was driving our suv when he lost control and the car left the road. We struck an electric pole (the power went out for about a minute) and came to rest against a tree and telephone pole (which cracked). I recall the impact and the vehicle stopping. When I looked to my left what I saw was a dark grey shadow. I looked out the front window and saw smoke. Then a voice in my head said "It's okay. There's nothing you can do about that. Get out of the vehicle." I reached down, unbuckled my seatbelt, opened the door and stepped from the car. A man was stacking wood at his home nearby and had heard the accident. I made eye contact with him as he yelled to his wife to call for the ambulance. At that point I fell to the ground but remained conscience. Amazingly, this man's wife was a CNA and came to my side to hold my hand and tell me not to move until the paramedics arrived. I asked about Troy but Amanda (as I found out her name later) did not answer. I had overheard a firefighter say that Troy wasn't breathing as soon as they arrived. I just knew he was gone. There was a sadness in my heart, but also an unexplainable calm knowing that he wasn't hurt or suffering. I was taken by ambulance to Maine Medical Center to the trauma unit. After a full body CT scan I was told I only had four broken ribs, a slight lung puncture and a nicked spleen. I was also informed by a police sergeant that Troy did not survive the accident and had died instantly at the scene due to head trauma.

I think that was the longest night of my life. I had to call and notify Troy's mom, Sharon, and his stepdad, Gary. You can't even imagine the difficulty of that one call. I wish none of you to ever experience it. I also called my sister and my parents. Over the next hours my room phone didn't stop ringing. My dear friend, Candice, and her husband - and Troy's good friend - Bob, called to say they were coming out the following day. What a relief to know that I wasn't going to be alone. So many people offered to come to my side, but knowing my friends were coming to help me physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually, I assured the others I would be okay.

Before I left the hospital on Tuesday morning I heard more about the accident. I was told the vehicle was upside down when it stopped against the pole and tree. My sister was told by the investigating officer that the accident was considered "unsurvivable." That the trauma unit had an operating room reserved for me as they were convinced I would have serious internal injuries. I feel that Troy must have helped me from that vehicle...or more likely his spirit and that of a higher power.

I have so much more to write about the goodness of humans. People who helped me who didn't even know me. The "divine intervention" on our flights back to Rapid City. So, so much more. This will have to wait for tomorrow.

What I do know is that I am not sad. I am truly blessed to have shared in Troy's life. Because of him I have wonderful family and friends. I traveled on incredible journeys. My eyes were opened to another world. I will not mourn my loss, but take the lessons that he taught me and build on them. I will also teach those lessons to the people I love...and even to people I have yet to meet.

lco

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for inviting me to visit your Blog. Your story touched my soul, and filled my eyes with tears.

    I have not had the chance to know you deeper, however the feelings
    expressed throughout your words, and the way you are taking in this very difficult life experience, tell me about the beautiful human being you are.

    You added your fragrance to a painful situation to turn it into love and learning.

    I wish you and Troy keep your spirits filled with love and beautiful memories of the years together, although you are now in different roads of soul evolution.

    God be with you Lori, take care.
    From Patricia Marquis, Hollis, Maine

    ReplyDelete