Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fly United

On Thursday morning, December 6th, Bob, Candice, Lillie, myself, Handsome, Sheriff and our combined 6 checked bags, 3 carry-ons and one stroller arrived at the Portland Jetport. However, we showed up 30 minutes prior to departure and there was no one at the terminal to check us in. You can imagine the stress we conveyed in NEEDING to get on that plane! Also, Lillie was running a fever, I had Troy's ashes in hand and Bob hates to fly. When a customer service rep finally came to ticketing there was no way we were getting on our original flight. After hearing our story, true and shocking as it was, she re-arranged our flights so we could still get to Rapid City that day.

We left Portland 2 hours later en route to Chicago, however, just before boarding that flight we noticed we were not on the same flight from Chicago to Denver (which the lovely rep had booked for us in first class, but not together on the same flight!). The problem with that is if we didn't catch the early flight, the one I was ticketed for, there was no way we'd catch our standby flight with a 20 minute connection in Denver and I really wasn't supposed to be traveling alone due to my injuries. They couldn't change anything in Portland but told us to head straight to our gate in Chicago and get Bob, Candice and Lillie on standby for my flight. So off we went.

Upon arrival in Chicago we did as we were told but had to wait until 10 minutes prior to flight departure to know if they would be on the flight. Luckily, they were the first one's called to the podium and we all practically ran down the ramp. I still had my first class ticket but B,C&L were in coach. Just as I settled down in my rather luxurious seat, a man in a suit approached me and stated he was from customer relations. My mind was racing - does he know my situation or not? After a minute of his introduction I realized he did not and when he wanted to ask me a few questions because I had "paid good money for this flight," I reached up and grabbed his arm and began to cry. I told him I had not paid for the first class ticket but had been upgraded because my husband had just passed away and that I was traveling with his ashes to a memorial service. This man knelt by my side with both my hands in his and stared into my eyes as I told him the story of the accident and the tears ran down my cheeks. After I spoke of my friends in coach, our 20 minute connection in Denver, and our stress of trying to get Troy home, this kind and gentle man sat quietly for a moment. Then he said that he didn't know what to say to me. After another short pause he said, "God will take care of you, and I will take care of you." He asked for the Denver to Rapid flight information and told me he would get me and my friends on that flight. He then left the plane. I felt like he was my guardian angel.

During the course of that flight the attendants came by to pat my shoulder, gave me hugs, one even brought a poem about losing a loved one. I couldn't believe the outpouring of support and compassion from people I didn't even know. Candice was even allowed to come up and check on me during the flight. When the plane touched down in Denver the flight attendant gave her usual talk about seatbelts, luggage, etc, but she also asked that everyone remain in their seats because a family had an emergency and a short connection. I was only two seats back but was worried about B,C&L. As I stood up the attendants hugged me and wished me well. I could see a suited woman standing on the ramp with a notepad and when the door opened she said she was there for Mrs. O'Neill and her party. I gasped and told her I needed my friends, however, they were right behind me! We were rushed up to a waiting inter-airport taxi/shuttle and told the plane was being held for us and that they had our boarding passes at the gate. We were all in tears! We even found out that the online flight information showed the plane was delayed due to Customer Service.

Needless to say, we arrived in Rapid City only 10 minutes later than our original scheduled itinerary had we left Portland on time that morning. I was shocked that the man in Chicago was able to call ahead and actually hold the plane for us. The whole day was miraculous. We felt a definite "divine intervention" and I know Troy had his hand in getting us to his home safely.

I plan to write a letter to United Airlines. Their customer service and genuine showing of care and compassion meant the world to me. I hope if you have a choice in the future you will fly United.

lco

No comments:

Post a Comment